Dr. Roseann Capana-Hodge discusses strategies.
No doubt this past year has been stressful for all of us. But what's the impact on our children? Dr. Roseanne discusses common mental health issues she has seen as a result of more than a year of pandemic isolation, distance learning, huge amounts of screen time, irregular schedules and more.
Highlights of the interview include:
- 7:46 ADD – is it really that or is it from sitting in front of a screen so long?
- 9:22 Explanation of stress vs anxiety
- 11:32 How over-sensitivity and nervous system dysregulation shows up through various behaviors
- 12:37 Explanation of how many stressors vs just one stress event contribute to anxiety
- 15:58 What NOT to do when your child worries about a particular thing (like stormy weather)
- 18:22 Discussion of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) vs anxiety
- OCD begins with excessive worrying thoughts
- 20:50 Effective treatment for OCD
- 21:17 Coping mechanisms for worries, explanation of PEMF, PEMF success story of a boy with anxiety who gets aggressive
- 25:55 What is “accommodation”?
- 27:37 Common fears in kids that Dr. Ro sees
- 28:15 Accommodation and examples – Exposure, Response, Prevention (ERP) method
- 32:27 Intrusive thoughts outside the norm – example
- 33:57Dr. Ro explains the difference between autism spectrum rigidity and OCD
- 35:49 Other therapies for regulating the brain – Neurofeedback in conjunction with ERP and PEMF
- 37:48 Focus, attention, control – what to do first to help with these
- 39:30 What a parent can do to help improve learning and attention
- 41:31 4 strategies you can do at home that help improve attention
- 44:36 Strategies in Dr. Ro's book, It's Gonna Be OK It's full of easy hacks for parents!
- 47:51 QEEG brain map info to determine what is going on in the brain, giving hints for how to help
- 48:58 About using grades to determine mental health – good grades = good mental health. Not necessarily!
- 49:59 About the benefits of exercise and fun types
- 53:22 Executive function and attention and upcoming fall challenge from Dr. Ro
- 57:11 Screen time break strategies, including eye breaks
- 102:22 Advice about sticking with a treatment for a while
Resources from Dr. Roseann
Dr. Roseann recently held a challenge. Join in if you like…
- For her Raising Successful Kids Challenge, go to www.RaisingSuccessfulKidsCommunity.com for a 7 day challenge.
- If you're interested in working with Dr. Roseann, go to www.DrRoseann.com.
- And don't forget about her book, It's Gonna Be OK, with strategies and easy hacks you can do at home to help your child now!
Want to work with Luminara?
Discover if what we do is good a fit for your child in their autism recovery journey.
* In order to make the most of our time together, we ask for some info about your child before we start a call.