Detoxification is one of the most important focal points after nutrition!
We are exposed to a myriad of toxins each and every day (see below, sources of toxins). A child on the autism spectrum typically has a low functioning detoxification system. And what’s worse, heavy metals and other toxins disrupt detoxification. It becomes a vicious cycle.
How to Improve the Body’s Detoxification:
There are many strategies to help get the body’s detox systems working better. We use NeuroModulation Technique (NMT) to find out where detox is inefficient and give the body instructions to improve the process. This may include nutritional support, such as particular minerals or certain nutrients the body lacks. Using foods and compounds to pull metals, pesticides and other chemicals out complements nutrition.
Find out more about how we can help your child by booking a complimentary 30-min Next Step Discovery Consult where we will give you specific strategies for your situation.
Detoxification must work both inside the cells, as well as throughout the tissues and systems of the body.
Detox within the cells – the enzyme workhorses – must be freed up to work. Toxins hanging on DNA must be removed so detox enzymes can be made. Key minerals are important for helping the enzymes to work and also to displace toxic metals from the cells.
Detox systems must work properly:
- DIGESTIVE: Your child must be pooping daily, as this is the major avenue of releasing toxins.
- URINARY: Your child’s kidneys must be functioning well. Toxins and waste are eliminated through the urine.
- RESPIRATORY: The respiratory tract must be processing waste through the breath.
- SKIN: The skin, the body’s largest organ, will also eliminate toxins through sweat. Sometimes this looks like a rash.
- LYMPH:Your child’s lymphatic system must be properly carrying waste from cells. A great way to induce better lymph function is to make sure your child moves, plays, exercises every day.
A first step is to reduce or eliminate exposure to toxins. Check which ones you and your family may be exposed to…
SOURCES OF TOXINS
FOOD. Unfortunately, unless we eat completely organic our food also contains:
- residual pesticides
- chemical colors, flavors, preservatives
- artificial sweeteners
- hormone mimickers, like BPA (from cans) and plastic residue
- heavy metals (chocolate, coffee, rice)
- mold toxins (think peanut butter)
- hormones and antibiotics in animal products (milk, meat)
WATER. Additionally, our drinking water is not pure. There are high levels of pharmaceuticals (from people’s urine) which cannot be filtered out in water treatment plants.
AIR. What is in the air near you? Which factories are near enough for the wind to blow the toxic smoke to your house or school? Have you ever looked up in the sky and seen criss-cross contrails (aka chemtrails), or seen an airplane fly overhead? Did you know airplanes have to drop their jet fuel before landing? It vaporizes in the air we breathe.
INSIDE POLLUTION – HOME/WORK/SCHOOL: New carpet, flooring, walls may be off-gassing chemicals from glue, paint or finishes. Toxic mold can be a big problem for some homes. Electromagnetic frequencies from refrigerator, wifi, TV, other electrical devices can disrupt the human electromagnetic field (the heart and brain both emit electromagnetic waves). And as a reaction to EMFs, mold increases the amount of toxins it makes (think if there is mold in the body….).
BODY PRODUCTS. What to you put on your child’s hair or skin on a regular basis? Look at the ingredient list for your products (sunscreen, lotions, shampoos, dish soap, laundry detergent, make-up). If you don’t know what the ingredient is, look it up. The Environmental Working Group has a great website listing toxins and safety for lots of personal care products.